Amazon enters grocery business with $13.7 billion purchase of Whole Foods. After testing a variety of concepts to enter the grocery store segment, Amazon recently announced an agreement to acquire Whole Foods Market for $13.7 billion. The purchase gives the e-commerce giant instant access to the grocery store business, which accounts for consumer spending of more than $636 billion per annum. More importantly the purchase highlights the importance of omnichannel platforms, which incorporate a blend of brick-and-mortor establishments with an online footprint to drive traffice and sales.
Click to read the rest of this article.
Marcus & Millichap
A number of bills passed creating and/or empowering MUDs and giving them road district powers.
- HB 777: Effective immediately. Prevents the loss of open space ag appraisal while owner is on military deployment or stationed outside the state.
- HB 1288: Effective immediately. County commissioner’s courts may contract with a broker to lease property owned by the county.
- SB 345: Effective immediately. Certain municipalities may use certain tax revenue from hotel projects to pay certain hotel-related bonds or other obligations.
- SB 550: Effective immediately. Deals with sale or assignment of tax credits for certified rehabilitation of certified historic structures.
- SB 1086: Effective immediately. Prohibits a state agency from public internet posting of information that identifies taxable receipts of an individual business if they are contained in or derived from information required to be provided in a HOT tax report.
- SB 1229: Effective immediately. County commissioner’s courts may contract for solid waste services in certain municipal ETJs.
- SB 1365: Effective immediately. Use of HOT taxes for sporting event tourism expanded.
- HB 807: Effective 9/1/17. Clarifies provisions relating to choice of law and venue for construction contracts.
- HB 1774: Effective 9/1/17. Clarifies procedures and damages in deceptive, unfair, and prohibited insurance practices. Provides for an increase in damages.
- SB 347: Effective 9/1/17. Regional water planning groups and their committees are subject to the Open Meetings Act.
Click to download this Article.
With its $13.7bn deal to buy Whole Foods Market, Amazon may finally have answered a question that has stumped executives in charge of its nascent groceries business. How can an online supermarket that has fewer customers than a provincial convenience store chain buy enough food to stock a virtual cornucopia?
Amazon dominates online shopping in the US, with $136bn in annual revenues. But its grocery delivery service has made faltering progress since launching in 2007.
Click to read more at Houston Business Journal.
The nationwide urban renaissance narrative that has reverberated during the latest expansion cycle may very well just be a short-lived trend. Suburban growth surpassed urban densification, according to the latest census county population estimates.
- Not only are suburbs growing at a rapid rate, Texas ‘burbs are leading the country in population growth. Four of the five fastest-growing large cities, for the 12 months ending July 2016, are located in Texas. CBRE Research sorted through the data to give you the heads up.
Click here to read the rest of this Article.
Most real estate pros try using SEO tactics to boost their presence on Google and other search engines, and it’s no difference for those who specialize in commercial real estate. But running a successful SEO campaign can be a long, hard slog, which is why many go the sponsored ad route, using Google’s AdWords program to get their websites to the top of Google’s results page.
Click to read more…
With CMBS issuance down by half over the first half of this year, banks have largely stepped in to meet the strong demand for CRE debt financing. However, analysts are beginning to raise questions on the impact regulatory and pricing issues may have on bankers’ ability to continue providing borrowers with funds in the second half.
Click to read more…